Lupus In The Media: Famous People Living with Lupus
Lupus is not a well known disease. It is one of the diseases that many people whisper about in fancy medical shows, but never really talk about until someone they know is diagnosed. When I was a child, I always wished more famous people admitted having lupus, to help bring some much needed awareness to the disease. So I have tried to compile a list of *known people living with lupus. I have derived this information from a variety of sources like newspaper articles, websites etc. I believe this list to be true and accurate. The list below is in no particular order. If you have anyone to add, or delete- please contact me.
“Famous” People living with Lupus
* Ferdinand Marcos, former Philippine dictator, who died of Lupus in 1989.
* Flannery O’Connor, American fiction writer.
* Hugh Gaitskell, British politician.
* Baseball player Tim Raines has played for six Major League teams including; the Montreal Expos, Chicago White Sox, New York Yankees, Oakland Athletics, Baltimore Orioles and Florida Marlins. He is considered one of the top leadoff hitters and base runners in baseball history.
* Elaine Paige, British actress and singer.
* Seal, a British musician, had discoid lupus in his childhood.
See All of Seal’s Music on Amazon.com
* Millie, the pet dog of former President George H. W. Bush & Barbara Bush, was diagnosed with discoid lupus erythematosus.
* Charles Kuralt, former anchor of CBS Sunday Morning. Learn More About Charles Kuralt
* Mary McDonough, Actress best known for her role as Erin on The Waltons.
* Actor Ray Walston, probably best known for his portrayal of Uncle Martin on the 1960’s TV sitcom My Favorite Martian and as Judge Henry Bone on the 1990’s television show Picket Fences. Died 2001.
* James “J. Dilla” Yancey, prominent Hip-Hop producer ,died from complications of the disease on February 19, 2006, just three days after his 32nd birthday.
* Kelly Drury, actress and model most notably on General Hospital.
* Inday Ba (also known as N’Deaye Ba), a Swedish-born actress. She died from complications of lupus, aged 32.
* Caroline Dorough-Cochran, sister of Howie D. of the Backstreet Boys, who founded the Dorough Lupus Foundation in her memory.
* Mercedes Yvette (also known as Mercedes Scelba-Shorte), runner-up of season two of the reality television series America’s Next Top Model.
* Sophie Howard, a British glamour model.
* Leslie Hunt, singer/songwriter and finalist of Reality Television show American Idol Season 6.(2007)
* Lauren Schuler Donner, Hollywood film producer.
* Kelly Stone, Sister of Sharon Stone diagnosed with SLE.
* Pietra Thornton, former wife of Billy Bob Thornton and former Playboy model.
* Maurice Young, better known as Trick Daddy, is an American rapper
*Mary Norton – Luxury shoe and handbag designer
*Salimah Mussani – LPGA pro golfer, and Stanford University women’s golf coach who has Lupus
*Nicole Paxson – Lupus sufferer since age 12, she started a cosmetics company focused on raising women’s confidence no matter what their challenges.
*Lucy Vodden – The inspiration for the Beatles’ 1967 psychedelic classic “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” died at age 46 from Lupus in 2009
*Michael Wayne – The son of legendary actor John Wayne, actor/producer Michael Wayne died of Lupus complications in 2003.
*Gigi Garner – The daughter of actor James Garner, Gigi Garner is living with Lupus. James Garner is very involved with lupus awareness and has appeared in lupus awareness campains.
*Cindy Crawford – Cindy is a Drag Racer that wrote “Drag Racing Basics”, and used it as a platform to speak about her Lupus.
*It is highly rumored that Michael Jackson, the “King of Pop” and a constant tabloid subject has Lupus. He was supposedly diagnosed with the disease in 1984, shortly after his hit album “Thriller” was tearing up the charts. But this has never been confirmed by Michael Jackson himself, or his publicist.
If you enjoyed reading this list, you may also enjoy reading: Lupus in the Media: Television Shows and Movies where Lupus was featured or part of the character or storyline
List compiled by Christine Miserandino and the butyoudontlooksick.com staff, ©
* Please do not copy this list without permission from the author. We encourage linking.