Craft Project: The Perfect and Personal Pill Box
Craft Type: Decoupage
Time it will take: As simple as 15 minutes! Or as fun as hours and hours…
This totally easy and fun craft is a perfect gift for yourself to use in every day life or as a present for someone you love. Not only is it a simple craft to do on a rainy day, but it’s a perfect party craft! Invite some girlfriends over and make each other original and beautiful pill boxes.
What you need to make a Perfect Pill Box:
1. I used a tin pill box from Specialty Bottle, a very reliable company which I love because there’s NO minimum order! The one I ordered was this one: http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=331
I love it because it’s small, but holds a large amount of pills; plus, the pill boxes are only .64 cents each!
2. Plain white glue mixed with water to make a smooth, slightly thinner, watered down glue.
3. Small paintbrush—any kind will do!
4. Any small images on paper (magazines, photos—but beware of anything printed from the computer because occasionally the glue/water mixture makes the picture bleed). You can also use beautiful fabric or wrapping paper, too!
5. OPTIONAL: You could use Mod Podge (a glue like medium used over the dried pill box case to add a sheen). You can purchase Mod Podge (which isn’t a bad idea because it can be used for millions of projects) here: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/modpodglos.html
How to make the Perfect and Personal Pill Box:
1. Order the pill box from Specialty Bottle.
2. Find images small enough to cover the front of the box. You could collage many little images (figure a) or use one big one (figure b).
3. Mix the glue with a few drops of water until it forms a smooth and easy to spread liquid.
4. Spread a thin layer of the glue mixture on the back of your cut-out and place it smoothly on the clean tin container. Smooth the cut-out on with your brush or finger.
5. Continue gluing on your images. You can glue one image on the top and keep it simple or you can overlap and collage them! That’s what makes it your own and beautiful. Make sure each cut-out is smoothed and that there are no major bumps.
6. On the back of my pill box I put my name (or you can put your return address label, they fit perfectly) in case it gets lost!
7. Let the pill box dry until nothing is sticky anymore and then with your brush or finger, apply a thin layer of the Mod Podge all over the box to fuse all the images together and give the pill box a shiny sheen.
8. Let it dry and show it off to everyone!
*I like SpecialtyBottle.com because they let you have two free samples: “If you are a new customer, you can order up to two items as samples online by adding the two items into your shopping cart and going through the checkout process. For payment method, select “payment by check” and write ‘sample order’ in special instructions. Specialty and large glass containers are not available as samples” so you can test out your product. Also, there’s no minimum purchase of containers! In the future we’ll be using it again to order more for crafts, so bookmark it!
If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, you can contact me on the message boards, my user name is Oliviamarch.
Article written by Olivia March, © 2008 butyoudontlooksick.com